Friday, July 10, 2009

Ethiopia bound

And they're off!

Jerry, Caleb, Damian, and Chad are FINALLY Ethiopia bound!

I am happy, sad, excited, and scared...and I wouldn't change it for the world!
The guys flew out around noon today and will be flying Emirates out of L.A. They will get to Dubai tomorrow and arrive in Addis Sun. noon.
It's been pretty crazy trying to get everything ready to go and I panicked after they left thinking I really should have gone over the paperwork one more time. Oh, well, I guess the half-a-dozen times I already did will have to suffice!

They were able to take 6 bins full of donated items since they managed to stuff all their personal items into carry-on. Lots of stuff, and hopefully the guys will be able to find the time to deliver it all!






Thanks to all who so generously donated!

So far the plan is to visit Kechene (the boy's former orphanage), visit Hope for the Hopeless, visit Hope's place, shop, Embassy appointment, and maybe site see around Addis a bit, if they can find the time.
And, oh, yeah...get our new sons!!!!!
They BETTER NOT forget that part! Not unless they want to face a raving mad, lunatic, monster- of- a- former- woman upon their return, that is!



The boys tried to get some last minutes of love in on Mikayla...they are going to miss her!
The last time they took a trip without her they were gone for 4 days and were looking at her picture the whole way home, so this is going to be tough on them. I'm betting that having two new brothers to hold will help ease that though!



The kids started with a stomach flu 2 weeks ago and it's been working it's way around to all of them. As of 2 days ago, Damian still hadn't come down with it and I was beginning to think he was going to luck out.
Unfortunately, he didn't.
Poor guy was up most of last night with stomach cramps and we were really considering canceling his trip. In the end we decided that he could either stay home and feel miserable, or be on a plane and feel miserable...at least in the plane scenario he will be in Ethiopia when he recovers.
Jerry got him a hot pad to travel with (since heat seems to be the only thing that relieves the cramping), I doused him with my repertoire of herbal remedies for stomach viruses,we surrounded him with prayer, and he is on his way!

I had a tough to saying good bye...I know it's good for me to let them go like this, it's my dream that my children will go far and wide, seeing and experiencing and developing a heart for God's creation and people, but it sure does pull hard on my mommy-strings!
I guess that's what I love most about home-schooling- the fact that they are always with me!

We snapped a quick family picture before the guys left.


I can't wait to take another one when they get back, this time with our 2 new beautiful sons included!

God speed, my loves!


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bless you hearts!!! Praying for safe travels, for the stomach flu to disappear, and for those sweet boys! Can't wait to follow along. SO exciting!

Shari said...

Jenni!!!!! Will be praying and am just SO EXCITED for you guys!!!! Wow! Praise our precious Jesus Who is making this happen for you guys--I hope we get to follow your footsteps one day! Love you!

Emily B. said...

Lots of prayers and well wishes for their safe return. And keep yourself busy! Don't just sit around worrying. Find a room to paint or a car to wash or blankets to knit. SOMETHING! :)
hugs,
Emily

Bethany said...

Praying for safe travels for your boys :) And for you, mom, left to hold down the fort! Can't wait to see pics of your beautiful family ALL together... at last.

Lisa Bates said...

I can't wait to see the photos to come! May everyone get and remain in good health!